Do you have an inflatable boat with a trolling motor? Then you’re almost ready to go fishing!
One more piece of gear that you’ll want to have is the best fish finder for your trolling motor.
There are many options on the market and it can be hard to choose the best one, especially if you’ve never chosen one before. You also don’t want a fish finder that is too big and heavy for your inflatable boat.
Here are the best fish finders for trolling motors. Find the one you’ll want and you’ll be catching fish soon!
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Fish Finders for Trolling Motors
- How to Choose the Best Fish Finder for a Trolling Motor?
- The Final Verdict
Top 5 Fish Finders for Trolling Motors
1. The Garmin STRIKER 4
- Product 1: CLEAR VÜ SCANNING SONAR Shows you more of what is in the water around your boat; This high frequency sonar gives near photographic images with detailed representations of objects,...
- Product 1: THE POWER OF SIMPLE Offers a keyed interface with dedicated buttons; The device is easy to use and easy to install; Available in 3.5 , 5 and 7 inch display sizes; Water rating IPX7
This low-priced fish finder from trustworthy brand Garmin is a favorite among people who fish. We chose it because it is both a budget-friendly option and absurdly good at finding fish. It will tell you exactly where the fish are every time.
This may be the best fish finder for a trolling motor that you can get. Even with the required 12V battery, it’s not too heavy for most inflatable boats. Setup is easy, too, so you don’t have to be a tech geek to figure out how to use it.
You shouldn’t have to spend a lot of money to get a high-quality fish finder. The Garmin STRIKER 4 proves this over and over again.
The best thing about this fish finder is its price. While some people who fish prefer options with internal batteries, the high-frequency chirp sonar and the waypoint map make it worth figuring out how to install it in your inflatable boat.
What we like
- This inexpensive fish finder works as well as many of the more costly options.
- The waypoint map allows you to mark, view, and travel to docks, brush piles, and more.
- Chirp sonar offers crisp fish arches and better target separation.
- High-frequency sonar gives you a nearly photographic view of the water all around your boat.
- This fish finder is easy to set up and use, with intuitive navigation and dedicated buttons.
What we don’t like
- This fish finder requires a 12V battery, so you’ll need to plan ahead to use it in your inflatable boat.
2. The Humminbird HELIX 7 Chirp Mega DI GPS G3
- 7-Inch screen with 800H x 480V resolution color TFT display
- MEGA Down Imaging: Get unprecedented underwater clarity with coverage down to 125 feet below your boat. Not a Minn Kota i-Pilot Link Compatible
Humminbird is a well-known name when it comes to fish finders and this is their latest update to a unit many have relied on for years. If you used and loved the HELIX 5, this is the upgrade you’ve been waiting for.
See up to 125 feet below your boat with unprecedented crispness and clarity. This is one of the best fish finders for trolling motors because nothing else lets you see the water around you quite like this.
Want to know how your lure is presenting to the fish? This fish finder will show you that detail, too.
A memory card slot allows you to purchase the maps you need, based on your location, then see them quickly and easily. Side imaging is a favorite feature of many customers since it allows them to see what is going on elsewhere in the water, not just directly under the boat.
Look at the word under your boat clearly for the first time with the Humminbird HELIX 7 Chirp Mega DI GPS G3. If you love details and you want to know your lake and its fish better, this is the best fish finder for your trolling motor.
What we like
- Mega Down Imaging provides views of the water under your boat as you’ve never seen them before.
- Two display modes allow you to choose what you see and how you see it, or to alternate between them for more information.
- The device is easy to install and a touchscreen makes it intuitive to use, too.
- Choose to search for fish with the wide or the narrow mode, depending on your location and needs.
What we don’t like
- The unit requires a flat place for mounting. If you don’t have one on your inflatable boat, you may struggle to use the unit effectively.
3. The Lowrance HOOK Reveal 7 Split Shot with CHIRP, DownScan, & US Inland Charts
- FISHREVEAL: Fish are easier to find and easier to identify. FishReveal combines the target separation of Lowrance CHIRP sonar and the high-resolution images of structure from DownScan Imaging to makes...
- HIGH-DETAIL INLAND MAPS: Get high-detail maps of almost 4,000 US inland lakes. Create custom contour maps with even greater detail over any map or GPS plotter with Genesis Live, so you can get onto...
Reliable Lowrance offers this intuitive, easy-to-use unit to help you focus on finding more fish faster. If you don’t like to tinker with your gadgets while you’re out on your boat, this is a good fish finder for you.
Lowrance offers autotuning sonar in this model. It automatically changes your sonar settings based on conditions and location, so you don’t have to do that manually.
It also shows fish as bright dots on your screen, so you’ll always know exactly where your targets are. Since you get both wide-angle and high-resolution images, you may end up finding more fish than usual!
This option is for the serious angler who wants to focus on the fishing and not the process. Investing in this Lowrance HOOK Reveal 7 will help you achieve your goals and have a great day out on the water.
What we like
- As long as you’re in the continental US, your lake map should be preloaded on this unit.
- Autotuning sonar means you get to fish more and mess with your equipment less.
- Combine wide-angle images with high-resolution to find more fish than you’ve ever found before.
- Fish light up on your display so you can easily target them and make your move.
- This small unit is easy to use on your inflatable boat.
What we don’t like
- This unit is more expensive than many of the best fish finders for trolling motors that we reviewed.
4. Venterior Portable Rechargeable Fish Finder Wireless Sonar Sensor Fishfinder Depth Locator with Color LCD Display
- Wireless and castable: No more long & heavy cable for transducer. Clear Color Screen: it comes with clear color TFT LCD display (2 screen background colors selectable - black and white), which enables...
- It detects and displays water depth, water temperature, fish size (small/medium/big), fish depth, and bottom contour. It has Work and Simulation Mode. Measure units of depth and temperature can be...
This basic fish finder comes from Venterior, one of the trusted names in handheld fish finders. If you want something that you don’t have to install but that will still help you find more fish, this is the unit for you.
It includes a wireless, castable sensor that you can toss out from your boat so you can see even more of what is going on under your boat. If you want to attach the sensor to the hull of your inflatable boat, you can tether it there with fishing line through the two small holes on the sensor unit.
In addition to being great for use on your boat, you can also use this fish finder when on shore, on a dock, or even while ice fishing. When you want to buy one fish finder for all of your needs, this is your one-stop shop.
This no-nonsense fish finder might be basic, but it’s still one of the best fish finders for trolling motors. It’s easy to use, can be used anywhere there’s water, and allows you to get right down to the serious business of fishing ASAP.
What we like
- Little to no installation is required with this unit.
- Get all the information you need in the palm of your hand.
- The castable sensor means you can get images of fish that are away from your boat, as well as those nearby.
- The battery lasts 6-8 hours on a single charge
What we don’t like
- The device itself is not waterproof, so you may need to store it in a waterproof bag to keep it safe.
5. iBobber by Reel Sonar
- Patented sonar fish identifier technology
- LED beacon
iBobber by Reel Sonar leverages technology to create an entirely new kind of fishing experience. If you rely on your phone for everything else, why not let it help you find fish, too?
Cast the iBobber over the area where you want to fish or tether it to your boat with a piece of fishing line for continuous data. Then map the lake waterbed and find the fish you’ve been looking for.
iBobber should sync with your phone via Bluetooth at a distance of up to 100 feet, so you should be able to find all of the fish in your area. It also has a fish alarm in case you’re caught napping or just taking care of something else.
Since it uses your phone’s screen, iBobber gives you clearer images of the water beneath you than other options might. Mark the best spots with GPS spot tagging so you can go back and fish some more later.
iBobber is for people comfortable with technology who want an easy way to find fish without making a major investment. It’s easy to install and to use with the same phone you already carry around everyday and it will help you find more fish, faster.
What we like
- This fish finder is incredibly portable. Pack it or use it on your inflatable boat without having to worry about space or weight.
- Use it anywhere: on your inflatable boat, from the shore or dock, and in salt or freshwater.
- Because it pairs with your phone, you can access your fishing data anywhere, not just out on the water.
- The iBobber turns itself on when it hits water and shuts off when you take it out, saving valuable battery life.
What we don’t like
- The iBobber offers less detail than some larger fish finders.
How to Choose the Best Fish Finder for a Trolling Motor?
There are a few key things that you should consider when you’re looking for a fish finder for your vehicle with a trolling motor.
You don’t want a fish finder that will weigh down your boat. After all, you want your trolling motor to still effectively move you across the lake.
Your weight limit will depend on the weight of your boat, how powerful your trolling motor is, and how much additional gear you are carrying. Make sure that you don’t go over the weight limit for your inflatable boat.
Most anglers want sonar with at least 800 watts of power, though many won’t use anything less than 3000 watts.
If you fish in shallow water, you won’t need as much power as you will when you fish in deeper water. In general, though, you’ll want the most powerful unit that you can afford and that won’t weigh down your boat.
3. Screen Quality
More pixels mean a clearer picture and a more detailed view of the water under and around your boat. However, better screens cost more and weigh more, too.
If you can, try out the fish finder before you buy it to make sure that you are happy with the picture quality on the screen.
4. Side Scan Options
Side scan technology allows you to see more of the lake than just the part that is directly below your boat.
It can give you a lot more information about what the bottom of the lake looks like and where the fish are hiding without you having to make multiple passes because you can only see what is right below you.
5. Portable vs. Fixed
Many people choose a portable fish finder for use with their trolling motor, though you can mount a fishfinder on an inflatable boat with the right tools.
If you also like to ice fish or you take fly-in fishing excursions in addition to fishing on your boat, you will definitely want a portable fish finder that you can always take with you.
6. Transducer Cone Angle
The transducer is the part of the fish finder that sends out sonar waves. Transducer cones come with angles anywhere from 9 to 60 degrees, though most are somewhere between 16 and 20 degrees.
More degrees mean a wider angle of view, but they are also more expensive. Most anglers don’t need more than 20 degrees for their transducer cone angle, unless they are fishing in deep water, like in the Great Lakes or on the ocean.
7. Extra Features
Some of the best fish finders for trolling motors come with additional features, like a GPS, a temperature sensor, speed sensors, distance markers, and more. In general, more features means a more expensive fish finder.
Different people like different features on their fish finders. Determine which ones are important to you, then make sure your fish finder has the ones you value most!
The Final Verdict
The Lowrance HOOK Reveal 7 Split Shot with CHIRP, DownScan, & US Inland Charts is the best fish finder for a trolling motor.
It offers incredibly high-quality fish finding and is easy to use on an inflatable boat. However, its price might make some people balk. For those on a budget or who want to allocate their money to something else, the iBobber is another superb option.
Make fishing even more fun when you buy one of the best fish finders for trolling motors today!