Are you looking to add a trolling motor to a Jon boat? Maybe you’re just wondering if it’s possible or how much it would cost. No matter your reason for searching, here’s what you need to know so you can get the best trolling motor for your needs.
Once you get your new trolling motor, install it right away. That you, you’ll be able to get out on the water fast and enjoy fishing out there soon.
Here’s everything you need to know about getting the best trolling motor for a 10ft. Jon boat.
IN A HURRY, HERE’S OUR TOP PICKS…
Table of Contents
What Size Trolling Motor Do I Need?
Since Jon boats are almost always made of aluminum, they tend to be very lightweight. That means that you rarely need a trolling motor that offers more than 55 pounds of thrust. Some people choose more thrust, but it’s hardly ever necessary for a boat this size.
This is especially true in the 10-14 foot category of Jon boats. These boats are small and light, so it doesn’t take much thrust to power them through the water. If your boat is not made of aluminum, you may need to contact the manufacturer to find out how much it weighs.
All of the trolling motors that we are reviewing here are appropriate for the standard Jon boat at these lengths. If your Jon boat happens to be made out of another material or if you are carrying extra weight onboard for any reason, you may want to purchase a slightly larger trolling motor.
In general, you want at least 2 pounds of thrust for every 100 pounds of weight that you will have on your Jon boat. Make sure you take into account the weight of any people who will be joining you on the boat! Then you can calculate the amount of thrust you will need for your boat.
You will also want to take into account the weight of the battery or batteries that you plan to use with your trolling motor, as well as the mount that will attach it to your Jon boat. This allows you to make accurate calculations when it comes to how much thrust you need.
If you’re still not sure, you can contact your local marine shop. They should help you determine what size trolling motor would be best for you.
Jon Boat Trolling Motor Reviews
1. MotorGuide Xi3 Bow Mount Trolling Motor
- Wireless remote control lets you precisely operate the motor from anywhere on the boat
- Innovative mount features easy-to-read LED dashboard that lets you quickly check the status of four key functions in any light conditions
The MotorGuide Xi3 Bow Mount Trolling Motor is a top-of-the-line trolling motor that would serve any 10-14’ Jon boat well. It features an easy-to-read LED dashboard so you can always check the motor’s status no matter how poor the light is.
This bow-mount trolling motor gives you optimum control over your Jon boat. Maneuver deftly no matter where you’re trying to go, knowing that you have plenty of thrust to keep your boat on course even if it gets windy or the current gets strong.
This motor can be operated entirely while standing. The remote control means you can turn it on and move your boat from anywhere on board, without having to worry about a foot pedal. The Secure Step system means that you can both stow the motor and deploy it, all while standing.
If you want an amazing trolling motor for your Jon boat and you’re willing to make an investment this is a superb option for you. Just choose the shaft length that will work best for your boat and get out on the water soon!
What we like
- A bow mount means that this trolling motor has better maneuverability than transom-mounted versions.
- Hands-free operation means easier fishing for you.
- You can connect your XI3 GPS to this trolling motor quickly and easily.
What we don’t like
- This trolling motor is only designed for freshwater use. If you want one to use in saltwater, you’ll need to buy a different motor.
2. Haswing Black Cayman Bow Mount Electric Trolling Motor
- Haswing Cayman 48 INCH Shaft Bow Mount Trolling Motor is designed and engineered to run quieter than ever before. It's so quiet that the fish will never hear you coming. With variable speed will let...
- The remote control fits into the palm of your hand easily or can be attached around your neck with a lanyard. Conveniently control the motor on the boat or shoreside with the farthest 164 ft distance,...
Choose the Haswing Black Cayman Bow Mount Electric Trolling Motor when you want a superb trolling motor with a lot of added features for a reasonable price. Anglers around the world trust this trolling motor for all their fishing needs.
The Haswing is very quiet, so you’ll never have to worry about startling the fish away from your line. It also offers a variety of speeds so you can save power by only using what you absolutely need. When the winds or the currents pick up, though, this motor can keep up with them.
A wireless remote means that you can operate this motor from anywhere. In fact, as long as you are within 164 feet of your boat, you could even operate it from the shore! Wear the remote on a lanyard around your neck for a completely hands-free trolling motor experience.
If you’re looking for a bow-mounted trolling motor for your Jon boat and you want these extra features, then look no further than this Haswing model. It is great in both saltwater and freshwater, too, so you’ll never have to worry about corrosion.
What we like
- Cruise control means that you won’t have to mess with this trolling motor unless you want to.
- Wireless controls are intuitive and easy to use no matter where you are. As long as you have the remote on you, you can control the boat.
- The trolling motor is easy to stow and deploy. You can use your feet for this, too, to save your hands for reeling in the fish.
What we don’t like
- This particular trolling motor does not come with GPS, which is confusing because there are several named “Cayman” with different features and properties.
3. PEXMOR Electric Trolling Motor
- 【VARIABLE HANDLE】- Comes with 6" telescoping adjustable handle. You can use it as long or as short as you want. Also,comfortable handle, 5 forward speeds and 3 reverse speeds is for you to take a...
- 【LED BATTERY INDICATOR】- 1-10 LED light indicator let you keep track of the battery's capacity. The red and green lights will give you a big hint. 1-3 red lights indicate low power to remind you...
The PEXMOR Electric Trolling Motor is a great basic trolling motor for your Jon boat. You can also use it with any kayaks and/or inflatable boats that you might end up using. It is reasonably priced and many anglers love to use it.
This transom-mounted trolling motor is great for traditional trolling. If you want to move your lure slowly through the water, then this is the motor for you. It comes with a telescoping handle to make using it comfortable and easy, no matter where you prefer to sit on your boat.
You’ll always know how your battery is doing when you use this trolling motor because it comes with an LED light indicator. It will let you know how much battery power you have left, on a scale from 1 to 10. Never worry about running out of power in the middle of a fishing trip again!
If you aren’t satisfied with your PEXMOR trolling motor, they have a great warranty for you. If you’re not happy with your new trolling motor – for any reason, just notify the manufacturer and they will help you get a replacement motor or a refund for your troubles.
What we like
- For what you get, this trolling motor is a great price and a very good deal.
- An adjustable shaft means that this trolling motor can work on a wide variety of boats so, if you like taking different crafts out on the water, it may be the motor for you.
- A three-bladed propeller helps this trolling motor stand out when it comes to fishing in the weeds.
What we don’t like
- While a bow-mount isn’t always better, many anglers prefer it and this trolling motor doesn’t offer that option.
4. Newport Vessels NV-Series Trolling Motor
- Efficient Power: 55Lb Thrust - This 12V Electric Trolling Motor Provides Excellent Power And Efficiency For Any Boater. The High Quality Build Allows The Motor To Run All Day Long Without Overheating,...
- Features: This Motor Features A 30 Inch Shaft, A 5 Led Battery Meter, A 6 Inch Telescoping Tiller Handle, And 3 Blade Propeller. The Mount Angle, Height, And Direction Can All Be Adjusted And Locked...
Newport Vessels has a solid reputation when it comes to trolling motors and the Newport Vessels NV-Series Trolling Motor does not let anyone down. This motor is made to keep you fishing all day long without depleting the battery, losing power, or scaring the fish away.
The mount’s angle, height, and direction can all be adjusted and locked into place. This gives you maximum flexibility so you can make your trolling motor work for you, no matter what you need it to do. The 30-inch shaft makes this trolling motor perfect for something shallow, like a Jon boat.
With eight speeds, you should be able to get where you need to go and get there at a speed that works well for you. Like most trolling motors, this one won’t get you going much faster than 4 miles per hour, but it offers superb low-end torque that will always get your boat in motion fast.
If you’re looking for a Jon boat trolling motor from a well-known manufacturer at a reasonable price, make sure you consider this one. Anglers love how long it lasts and how sturdily it is built.
What we like
- This motor comes with a circuit breaker that will interrupt the flow of electricity in case of a voltage surge. Most of the time, you have to install these yourself.
- The sheer adjustability of this trolling motor is amazing and gives you maximum flexibility when using it.
- An LED battery meter means that you’ll never have to guess how much battery power you have left.
What we don’t like
- This is not the best trolling motor to choose if you are often out in extreme winds or high currents as it may not hold your boat in place as well as some of the other options out there.
5. Watersnake Venom Swet Trolling Motor
- STURDY SIMPLE DESIGN: Our Watersnake Venom SXW electric motors provide saltwater anglers with a versatile range of tiller-steer transom-mount motors that are loaded with clever features. The shafts on...
- CONTROL + FEATURES: The 34lb motors have a two-blade propeller. The 54lb motors each run a three-blade propeller. All propeller shafts are stainless steel and the props have a weedless design, so you...
The Watersnake Venom Swet Trolling Motor is made for anglers who like their trolling motors to come with extra features. It’s also great for those who like to switch between saltwater and freshwater or who think they might use their trolling motors in both kinds of water.
The Watersnake comes with a weedless design. This includes a 3-blade propeller, as well as other features that make it easier to use in high-vegetation areas than some other motors. If you like to push the envelope when it comes to weeds, check out this trolling motor for your Jon boat.
Manufactured to be intuitive, the Watersnake is easy to use, easy to maneuver, and easy to both stow and deploy. It should be nearly foolproof, which means that you’ll spend less time fussing about your motor and more time focusing on catching as many fish as you can.
If you’re looking for something a little different at a very reasonable price point, check out this option by Watersnake today. It may be just the trolling motor you had been hoping to find for your Jon boat. Install it fast to get out on the water soon.
What we like
- The fact that this trolling motor can be used in both saltwater and freshwater adds to its versatility.
- Multiple speeds mean that you can choose to save power sometimes and thus extend your battery life even longer.
- This trolling motor is built from a special composite that makes it extra tough. If you are hard on trolling motors, this may be the option you’ve been looking for.
What we don’t like
- While the company is responsive and will do their best to help you out if something happens to the trolling motor, the fact that they are based in Australia means that they may offer you a refund rather than a repair or another motor.
The MotorGuide Xi3 Bow Mount Trolling Motor is our winner when it comes to trolling motors for 10-14 foot Jon boats. When it comes from MotorGuide, you can know that you’re getting a great product and great service, no matter what. The bow mount and the remote add value, too.
If you’re looking to spend less but still get a great trolling motor for your small Jon boat, try the Newport Vessels NV-Series Trolling Motor today. It offers great value for its cost and it should serve you well for many years.
No matter which trolling motor you choose for your Jon boat, get your order placed soon! That way, you’ll have your motor fast and, before long, you’ll be out on the water enjoying your Jon boat even more than you did before!